Turn a baguette into crispy toasted baguette slices! They’re perfect for topping as crostini or using as crackers to serve with hummus and dips.
Here’s a trick for the most delicious crostini or crackers: make toasted baguette slices! These little crispy chips are at home on a happy hour platter, perfect for serving as a cheese platter or dipping into spinach artichoke dip. Many storebought crackers can taste stale or like they’re full of additives and preservatives: why not make your own homemade version? Alex and I have been making these for years as an appetizer when we’re entertaining, and finally decided we should write down the recipe. Here’s how to do it and our favorite ways to serve them.
The baguette to use
Of course, you’ve got to start with a baguette! Look for the best quality french baguette you can find at your local grocery. But there is a little wiggle room with this one. Since you’ll be toasting the bread to a crisp, the quality is not as paramount as if you were using it un-toasted. You also can make your own baguette at home (see below). But any store-bought baguette will do the trick!
How to make toasted baguette
Toasting a baguette is so simple, you should make it a point to memorize these steps. Once you’ve used this method once, commit it to memory and you can make it in your sleep. Or bookmark this so you can remember the temperature and timing.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the baguette on the bias. Place the slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. No oil needed, no parchment paper: nothing!
- Bake for about 10 minutes (timing will depend on the age of the baguette and thickness of the slices). That’s it!
What is slicing on the bias?
We’ve indicated to slice the baguette on the bias: what does that mean? On the bias simply means diagonally! Now, you don’t have to slice diagonally: you can easily make this recipe slicing straight-on. But slicing on the bias makes for larger pieces! It’s especially nice for smaller baguettes to get a nice oval shape for the pieces.
Ways to serve toasted baguette
Let us count the ways to serve these homemade toasted baguette “crackers”! You can serve them up as crostini, with your favorite dips, or in a happy hour platter. Here’s where to start:
- Cheese plate. Add your favorite cheeses, olives, and grapes and go to town!
- Spinach dip. Try Spinach Artichoke Dip or Easy Spinach Dip.
- Whipped feta. Serve with creamy Whipped Feta Dip.
- Hummus. Try our Homemade Hummus, Green Hummus, or Creamy Beet Hummus.
- Onion dip. Go to Caramelized Onion Dip.
- Crostini. Top them up with whatever you like! Try Cherry and Goat Cheese Crostini.
- Green pea dip. This bright Green Pea Dip is a huge fan favorite.
- Tomato dip. This Famous Tomato Dip really is famous.
Can you make toasted baguette slices ahead?
You can! You can make them up to 5 days in advance. Allow them to cool fully, then store them in a sealed container at room temperature until serving.
Love baking? Make your own baguette.
If you love baking, have we got the recipe for you! Here at A Couple Cooks we’ve made it our mission to bread down homemade bread baking for you. We’ve got DIYs for the art of sourdough bread and no knead bread. We’ve moved on to baguettes: and this recipe turned out stunning! The flavor of this homemade baguette is incredible: like an authentic French-style loaf. Intrigued? Head to our Homemade Baguette Recipe.
This toasted baguette recipe is…
Vegetarian, vegan, plant based, and dairy-free.