This easy homemade taco seasoning recipe is all natural and full of flavor! It takes just minutes to mix up using spices you might already have on hand.
Think the magic of tacos is only possible through that good old premade taco seasoning packet? Think again! Try this homemade taco seasoning! It tastes incredible and is all natural: none of those preservatives or additives that are in the store bought seasoning mix. Another benefit of homemade seasoning: you can control the salt! Many times pre-packaged taco seasoning has a large amount of salt, but here you can customize it your liking. Alex and I have been making taco seasoning for years: here’s our master recipe!
How to make taco seasoning
This easy taco seasoning recipe takes only a few minutes to assemble! All you’ll have do is mix together these spices (which you might already have on hand):
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper
A great way to use up spices!
This taco seasoning mix is a great way to use up spices before they get to old. The shelf life of most spices is 8 months to 1 year (see this graphic), after which they start to lose their flavor and potency. If you have some odds and ends to use up, try making this seasoning mix.
If your spice drawer or cabinet is like ours, always getting messy and overcrowded, go to How to Organize Your Spices…the Minimalist Way. It’s a helpful way to keep tabs on your spices.
How long to store homemade taco seasoning
You can store your homemade taco seasoning mix in an airtight container for 6 months to 1 year. Of course, the fresher the better! And it might not last long after you give it a taste. This easy taco seasoning recipe is the star ingredient in our Lentil Tacos, which is a favorite with our friends and family. They’re always begging us to “make those Lentil Tacos!”
Ways to use taco seasoning
There are so many ways to use this taco seasoning mix, and it doesn’t just have to be with taco meat! Here are a few ideas recipes where you can use it:
- Lentil Tacos Naturally! Add big flavor to all your taco recipes.
- Mac and Cheese Stir in a bit to mac and cheese to give an exciting new flavor.
- Scrambled Eggs Adding to scrambled eggs makes it a whole new dish.
- Tofu Scramble Use this seasoning mix to amp up the flavors.
- Refried Beans or Refried Black Beans Just a sprinkle adds a flair to beans.
- Sweet Potato Hash Browns Sprinkle onto hash browns for a Mexican flair.
- Rice or Instant Pot Rice Throw it into rice with some olive oil for Mexican flavored rice.
- Quinoa or Instant Pot Quinoa Same as rice, but with quinoa.
- Veggie Quesadilla Sprinkle inside a quesadilla for a pop of flavor.
- Roasted Broccoli or Grilled Broccoli Add a pop to roasted veggies by sprinkling on a pinch or two!
This taco seasoning recipe is…
Vegetarian, gluten free, vegan, plant based, dairy free, naturally sweet, refined sugar free, low carb, and keto.